The history of Bürgel:
Social changes, new methods of production, urbanization and rural depopulation characterize the turn of the 20th century. Following severe crisis years Germany was on its way to become a leading industrial nation. Already in this period Martin Bürgel GmbH provided the German economy with up-to-date information as a protection against bad debt losses.
As a result of a merger between the Bürgel entrepreneurs in Aachen in 1903 the company, originally founded in 1885, was transformed to “Cartell der Vereinigten Auskunfteien Bürgel” and Bürgel Centrale GmbH was founded. These measures were already taken in the spirit and sense of a franchise organization. Already in 1908 three-hundred offices in Germany and other European countries operated under the name of Centrale des Kartells der Auskunfteien Bürgel GmbH. In 1994 Bürgel became a “real” franchise company upon conclusion of the partnership agreements.
Twice in the course of the century, Bürgel was forced to reconstruct its entire archives, equipment, several offices and the world-wide contacts - due to the war events. With the beginning of the IT-age, e-mails and computerization a new data-processing era began for Bürgel. In addition, the Data Protection Act which came into force in 1978 changed the information landscape in Germany. In 1990 Bürgel Wirtschaftsinformationen GmbH & Co. KG – as a joint venture between Hermes Kreditversicherung and Bürgel – was founded in Hamburg and one of the most modern databases in Europe was set up. When the Bürgel database went online in 1993, the paper archives which had grown over the decades and which contained automated and especially manually compiled information of all Bürgel offices had been entered. Tons of printed paper were converted into 6.6 million stored data objects. Today the Bürgel database is the heart of all Bürgel services and products. Technical innovations such as the Fraud Prevention Pool, the internet platform NetConnect or the multi-functional interface Remote Connection Services of Bürgel revolutionized credit management in Germany.
In 1998 Deutscher Inkasso-Dienst, now EOS Holding GmbH (Otto Group), together with Euler Hermes Deutschland AG (Allianz Group), became the second shareholder of Bürgel.
Today Bürgel is one of the leading companies in the field of risk management in Germany. Since its establishment, Bürgel, with its manifold and innovated products and services in the field of credit and solvency information, has been standing for quality and service. Over the years the business segments Accounts Receivable Management, Address Management and Address Search have come into existence. The Bürgel group of companies consists of more than 40 offices and has a staff of over 1.000 in Germany.
In June 2015 Bürgel celebrated its 130. anniversary.
The globally acting credit and business information company CRIF becomes sole shareholder of the Bürgel group in 2016.
The History of the BÜRGEL Group at a glance
|1885||Establishment of „Martin Bürgel GmbH“ in Berlin|
|1903||Foundation of „BÜRGEL Centrale“ in Aachen|
|1973||Beginning of the dunning and debt collection services within the BÜRGEL Organization|
|1990||Establishment of der Bürgel Wirtschaftsinformationen GmbH & Co. KG, Euler Hermes Kreditversicherungs-AG becomes a shareholder|
|1991||Foundation of Eurogate by BÜRGEL, Graydon and Coface: Gateway for international credit reports|
|1993||Beginning of the central IT-processing activities as well as the online system for customers|
|1994||The BÜRGEL headquarters move to Hamburg|
|1996||Beginning of the business field Address Management|
|1998||EOS Holding/Deutscher Inkasso-Dienst becomes a further shareholder|
|1999||Set-up of the Fraud Prevention Pool (FPP) of the German mobile communication providers|
|2000||Beginning of the central accounts receivable management services|
|2001||Beginning of the BCI business|
|2008||Company take-over of Europro GmbH and Supercheck GmbH: introduction of the field of business „Address search of debtors with an unknown address“|
|2010||Exclusive extension of the BCI range of products with Euler Hermes (Full Report including the balance sheet grade)|
CRIF acquires the Bürgel group
The history of CRIF:
- 1988 CRIF was founded in Bologna, Italy.
- 1997 CRIF Decision Solutions Ltd. was established in the UK to provide financial analysis, reporting and monitoring services, anti-fraud solutions for UK insurance companies.
- 1999 CRIF Decision Solutions Ltd. expansion in the UK due to the acquisition of Qui Credit Assessment Ltd.
- CRIF NORTH AMERICA Corp. was established in Tampa, Florida, USA. With CRIBIS Corp., based in Tampa (Florida, USA), CRIF develops and distributes online decision support systems on an international scale, for the strategic management of credit and marketing activities, and for access to information on companies, sectors and markets in 230 countries.
- 2001 The strategic alliance with the American company TRANSUNION, leader in the NAFTA market, gave rise to two companies that specialize in providing custom and model-based business solutions in Mexico (TRANS UNION CRIF DECISION SOLUTIONS S.A. de C.V.) and in Central and South America and Canada (TRANSUNION CRIF DECISION SOLUTIONS LLC).
- 2005 CRIF bought 100% of the stock in CCB - CZECH CREDIT BUREAU and later in SCB - SLOVAK CREDIT BUREAU, two companies managing the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic credit bureaus, respectively expansion into the Russian market. CRIF co-founded the National Bureau of Credit Histories (NBCH) with the National Banking Association (ARB) and some of Russia’s main banks.
- 2006 CRIF acquired INFIN, which provides business information services, analysis and consultancy on companies and public entities in the Slovak Republic.
- 2007 InfoData (founded in 1990 as a Department of the Polish Chamber of Commerce) became part of the CRIF Group. CRIF Sp. Z.o.o was acquired. It offers added-value business information services in Poland, providing high quality data and freshly investigated credit reports on Polish and worldwide companies, as well as analytics, consulting, outsourcing and software solutions. Creation of OOO CRIF in Russia to provide a range of services including consultancy, analysis, outsourcing, software and debt collection solutions.
- 2008 INFIN merged with SCB – the Slovak Credit Bureau. CRIF strengthened its presence in the Americas through CRIF Corp. (based in Tampa, USA), Magnum (based in Atlanta, USA) and CRIF S.A. de C.V. (based in Mexico City), which provides decision support and software solutions to financial institutions, service providers and businesses. In July 2008, CRIF acquired Teres Solutions, a company based in Texas (USA). Teres Solutions develops advanced solutions for direct and indirect lending which represent the reference standard in the financial services market.
- 2009 CRIF reinforced its presence in the business information sector by acquiring Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) Italy. The creation of CRIBIS D&B provides clients and the market with increasingly detailed information, as well as the skills and experience of D&B, one of the main business information operators in the world. CRIF and HUAXIA International Credit Group established a new joint company, HuaxiaCRIF China, to offer consumer credit risk consultancy and information services to the Chinese market. CRIF continued its expansion in the United States by acquiring FLS services (based in Dallas, Texas), and Aimbridge Indirect Lending LLC and Member Lending Acceptance LLC (based in Denver, Colorado), companies specialized in indirect and direct lending solutions. CRIF Zrt., the newly formed CRIF Group company based in Budapest (Hungary), obtained a license from PSZAF, the Hungarian Financial Supervisory Authority, to establish the first entirely private and voluntary credit bureau in Hungary which includes both positive and negative credit information on individuals and businesses.
- 2010 CRIF acquired APPRO Systems from Equifax. APPRO Systems is a leading provider of loan origination and account opening solutions for financial institutions in the U.S. During 2010, CRIF went into partnership with High Mark Credit in India, and in Vietnam, PCB chose CRIF as partner to develop the first world class credit bureau in the country. According to the strategic partnership agreement in Vietnam, CRIF is now PCB’s major shareholder.
- 2011 In the U.S. CRIF acquired Cypress Software Systems. Cypress provides an array of software and services that help financial institutions automate their loan application, underwriting and decisioning processesI. In China CRIF established CRIF Beijing to provide credit risk management solutions to Chinese retail banks, consumers and auto finance companies. CRIF acquired Deltavista’s operations in Switzerland and Austria. Deltavista is one of the leading credit bureaus and risk management providers in German-speaking Europe.
- 2012 CRIF NM, a joint venture between CRIF and Neal & Massy, obtained a license to establish a world class credit bureau and provide added-value services to Jamaica and the Caribbean. CRIF opened a new office in Jakarta, Indonesia, as part of its expansion strategy in the Asia-Pacific region. Acquisition of Dun & Bradstreet Turkey, Finar and Kompass Turkey.
- 2013 CRIF strengthens its presence in the Asia-Pacific region with new offices in Hong Kong and the Philippines.
- 2014 CRIF expanded its operations in Turkey with the acquisition of a majority share in Recom, a leading player in the debt collection sector. CRIF acquired OFWI - Teledata from Axon Active Holding AG to strengthen its leading position in the credit industry in Switzerland. CRIF acquired a majority stake in High Mark Credit Information Services, a leading credit information company providing credit information to the microfinance, retail consumer, MSME and corporate borrower sectors in India. CRIF acquired Dun & Bradstreet UAE in Dubai, the leading data and business information provider in the United Arab Emirates.
- 2015 CRIF acquires 30% shares of Nomisma. Nomisma is an Italian independent company carrying out economic research and consultancy for businesses, associations and public administrations on a national and international level.
- 2016 In Germany CRIF acquires Bürgel, a joint venture between Euler Hermes, a worldwide leader in trade credit insurance, and EOS, an international provider of financial services. CRIF further reinforces its business in Germany and Poland by acquiring Deltavista’s operations, leading providers of credit bureau data and risk management services. CRIF acquires Microfinance Technologies Center (MTC) in Russia – a growing industry player in the delivery of credit risk assessment services for the microfinance sector. CRIF takes over CCIS-China Credit Information Service, the Taiwan’s largest and leading credit information agency.
- 2017 CRIF strengthens its positioning in Jamaica by acquiring all shares in CRIF NM Credit Assure Ltd. to further support financial institutions and lending organizations with integrated and comprehensive credit solutions.
The history of CRIFBÜRGEL:
- July 2017: The globally active credit bureau service group CRIF merged its German subsidiaries BÜRGEL Wirtschaftsinformationen and CRIF GmbH. The new company will continue its commercial operations under the name CRIFBÜRGEL, registered under CRIF Bürgel GmbH.